Everything you need to know about starting the amazing...
We have a place right here for you in our McNeese Bands Family!
CLICK HERE to establish contact with the McNeese Bands with our interest form
Ready to audition for us? CLICK HERE to complete the scholarship/award application
Auditions for fall 2017 Freshmen:
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an individual audition date/time
The band hall is located at: 340 E. Sale Rd. Lake Charles, LA
Color Guard Auditions
Guard Auditions: Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 9am-4pm (Memorial Gym on Campus)
Please be sure to complete the scholarship/award application form prior to auditioning. You may complete this form and audition before being officially accepted into the university. Just complete the information you currently know.
This audition will:
- Serve as your entrance audition into the music performance or music education degree programs and as your audition for marching band
- Or, if you are not majoring in music: serve as your entrance audition for marching band & or symphonic band
- This audition will also qualify you for: a) a possible music-major scholarship and/or b) band service awards (provided to every member of the marching band, wind symphony, symphonic band, jazz band, and basketball pep band)
Brass & Woodwinds
Generally, many students use their honor band, all-region or all-state audition music, because they already know it well and it covers these requirements for us:
- A lyrical etude, solo or other piece of music of your choosing. Performing this excerpt should indicate your ability to perform music expressively
- A technical etude, solo, or other piece of music of your choosing. This should indicate your technical ability
- The above prepared pieces can be cuts from honor band or all-state audition material, etudes from lesson books, excerpts from solos, or even music from your concert band folder
- Scales: Be prepared to perform major and chromatic scales throughout the practical range of your instrument
- Sight Reading
Majoring in something other than music performance or music education?
Good! We still want you in our bands! If you are just auditioning for a spot in marching band, the above procedure will work just fine. If you do not have 2 etudes or a solo, you can bring something from your high school marching band music or concert band music. Just bring 2 pieces with which you are comfortable. The scales do not have to be memorized (but it helps!), and we will not ask extremely difficult scales.
Drumline / Percussion Music Majors
Please contact Dr. Lonny Benoit at 337-475-5466 or e-mail: Lbenoit@mcneese.edu
Record the same as above (except for the sight reading) on a Windows Media Player file, mp4, or Quicktime file. You can also post your audition video to YouTube (as a unlisted video) and email us the link. Please include your name and high school with your recording. Send your audition to: email@example.com